Here at the Million Mom Movement we bring a lot of awareness to toxins that are pervasive in today’s environment. As Mama’s our thoughts immediately go to how we can protect our children. The latest statistics on childhood chronic illnesses are staggering, with more than 1 in 2 American children suffering from a chronic health condition. And when you get down to the foundation of those disorders you find two things—lack of nutrient-dense nutrition and over-toxicity.
Today’s children begin at a disadvantage. The Environmental Working Group reported in July 2005 that, “Of the 287 chemicals we detected in umbilical cord blood, we know that 180 cause cancer in humans or animals, 217 are toxic to the brain and nervous system, and 208 cause birth defects or abnormal development in animal tests. The dangers of pre- or post-natal exposure to this complex mixture of carcinogens, developmental toxins and neurotoxins have never been studied.” To think that was nearly 15 years ago and things have only gotten worse since then.
So what’s a Mama to do?? In the simplest terms, avoid all the toxins you can, and support the body to detox all the things you can’t avoid through proper nutrition.
While that seems like an easy statement, it takes a great deal of knowledge to accomplish those goals.
Let’s tackle part 1:
Here are some general guidelines to avoiding toxins
- Buy Organic food. Organic certification is the best defense we have against herbicides and pesticides like glyphosate, and the best third party certification available. While not a perfect system, organic certification means that the label and the ingredients match, the ingredients are not genetically modified, and the substances used to combat insects and weeds are less toxic to the human body if they are in fact using something at all.
- If you can’t eat it, don’t put it on your skin. That’s the motto in our house! The skin is the largest organ, and with some exceptions, everything you put on it is absorbed directly into the blood stream. Personal care products (lotions, soaps, shampoos, etc.) are not regulated, so marketing departments can say whatever they want. They can use terms like organic, plant-based, natural, etc. as much as they want. Ignore the marketing and look for two things—third party certification (like organic certification) and read the ingredients list. As a general rule, avoid anything that is an acronym (ex. PEG, BHT, etc) and avoid anything that has a number in it (ex. polysorbate 20). Some preservatives are highly toxic as well. And since the ingredients in personal care products are only tested by themselves and not in concert with one another, the more ingredients a product has, the more likely it is to have dangerous chemicals interactions in the product itself, so stick to shorter ingredients list. We could dedicate an entire blog post to just this one area, but for more information go the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics and the Environmental Working group.
- Drink filtered water. From pharmaceutical and birth control residue to added fluoride and dangerous microbials, tap water isn’t always the cleanest source of water. Getting a good filter will not only save you from overuse of plastic, it will also save you from the dissolved plastic compounds that can come from plastic water bottles.
- Consider air purifiers for your house. There are stand alone filters and ones that you can place directly on your furnace. This is especially important if you live near a highway or near air polluting industry.
- Use cleaner building supplies when working on your home. Things like carpet glue, paints, and even caulking can cause dangerous indoor air pollution. One of the worst for air pollution? Believe it or not, fabric softener and scented laundry detergent. Scented products typically contain hormone-disrupting chemicals. Better to stick to essential oils or food extracts or no scent at all.
- Manage EMF (Electro-magnetic fields) and blue light. The abundance of screen time and the constant exposure to electro-magnetic radiation is shown to have profound effects on health, especially children. A great resource to learn more is Clear Light Ventures.
Relevant Blog Posts:
Read more about our view on Vaccines.
What We Believe about Vaccines
We at the Million Mom Movement believe in putting high quality food, superfood and products into our bodies and the bodies of our family. We believe...
From SAD to RAD: Lifestyle Change from the Standard American Diet to the Real American Diet
Everyone that grew up eating the Standard American (or Canadian) Diet knows that making the life decision to opt for organic foods and superfoods,...
What does conscious parenting mean? Conscious parenting means that you have a clear understanding that children are independent beings who can...
Family Nutrition Pack: Guide to Optimizing Food Choice
Learning to read labels on all your food will help your entire family experience better health. Here are some things to consider as you up-level...
Family Nutrition Pack Suggested Schedule
Follow this protocol when using the Purium Family Nutrition Pack. This is an ideal amount of product for a family of 4 for 15 days. Green Spectrum ...
Million Mom Movement Scholarship Update
We have made a big change to our Business Scholarship! Taking into consideration what we have learned from the last 18 months, the Million Mom...
One Mom’s Story of How Nutrition Supports Those with an Autism Diagnosis
With Autism rates continuing to sky-rocket and expected to reach 1 out of every 2 kids by 2032, strategies for families living with an autism...